ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Lehigh opened up Patriot League play on Sunday against perennial league power Navy and the Mountain Hawks came up on the short end of a 7-0 score Sunday on the USNA Tennis Courts. The host Midshipmen won the doubles point and swept all six singles matches to drop the Mountain Hawks to 8-6 on the season.
Navy moves to 15-7 overall and 4-0 in the league as the Mids avenged two losses to Lehigh last season including a 4-3 Mountain Hawks win in the Patriot League semifinals.
Lehigh’s lone win of the day came at No. 2 doubles as sophomore Mark Goldberg and freshman Mitchell Petersen downed Chris Kenney and Marcus Rebersak 8-5. The doubles point came down to the No. 3 flight where Navy’s Blake Daniel and Nicholas Gutsche won 8-6 over sophomore Timur Chernykh and junior Andrew Krentz.
The Mids extended their lead in singles play as Rebersak downed Goldberg 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1 singles and Kenney defeated freshman DJ Goldblum in straight sets at No. 6 singles. Calvin Mark clinched the match for Navy with a 6-4, 6-1 win over freshman Ben Gilman at No. 2 singles. Mark’s win also snapped Gilman’s 11 match singles winning streak.
At No. 3 singles Petersen took Peter McDonald to three sets before falling, while junior Matt Savran lost to Daniel 12-10 in a third set super tiebreak.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the courts on Saturday when they host Colgate at 2 p.m. on the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Navy 7, Lehigh 0
1. Mark/McDonald (Navy) def. Gilman/Savran (LU) 8-3
2. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. Kenney/Rebersak (Navy) 8-5
3. Daniel/Gutsche (Navy) def. Chernykh/Krentz (LU) 8-6
1. Marcus Rebersak (Navy) def. Mark Goldberg (LU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Calvin Mark (Navy) def. Ben Gilman (LU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Peter McDonald (Navy) def. Mitchell Petersen (LU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
4. Blake Daniel (Navy) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-4, 5-7, 12-10
5. Nicholas Gutsche (Navy) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Chris Kenney (Navy) def. DJ Goldblum (LU) 6-4, 6-3