BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh completed a perfect 2-0 weekend on Sunday as the Mountain Hawks downed Saint Francis (Pa.) 5-2 inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and then won four out of six singles matches with a revamped lineup to improve to 2-1 overall on the season.
The Mountain Hawks raced to an early lead with wins in all three doubles matches. Lehigh’s top team of sophomore Mark Goldberg and freshman Mitch Petersen won 8-2 over Nate Fleming and Andres Rosa at No. 1 doubles, while freshman Ben Gilman and senior Edgars Rauza clinched the point with an 8-5 win over Sergio Carvajal and Chris Jimenez at No. 2 doubles. Junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Timur Chernykh needed a tiebreak to down Lawson Barter and Juan Pardo at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, Lehigh was without Goldberg and junior Matt Savran, but the Mountain Hawks freshmen stepped up at the top two singles flights. Petersen won 6-3, 6-1 over Fleming at No. 1 singles and Gilman moved up to No. 2 singles to defeat Rosa 6-1, 6-2.
Krentz added a straight set win over Barter at No. 3 singles to get Lehigh to four points, while Rauza made his first singles appearance of the year and downed Pardo 6-4, 6-1 at No. 5 singles.
Lehigh will remain at home for two matches next weekend. The Mountain Hawks will face Mount St. Mary’s Saturday at 11 a.m. and Delaware Sunday at 2 p.m.
Lehigh 5, Saint Francis (Pa.) 2
1. Petersen/Goldberg (LU) def. Fleming/Rosa (SFU) 8-2
2. Gilman/Rauza (LU) def. Carvajal/Jimenez (SFU) 8-5
3. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) def. Barter/Pardo (SFU) 8-7 (5)
1. Mitch Petersen (LU) def. Nate Fleming (SFU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Andres Rosa (SFU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Lawson Barter (SFU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Sergio Carvajal (SFU) def. Dan Goldblum (LU) 6-2, 7-6
5. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Juan Pardo (SFU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Chris Jimenez (SFU) def. Timur Chernykh (LU) 6-4, 7-5