BETHLEHEM, Pa. – It was a busy weekend for the Lehigh men’s tennis team as the Mountain Hawks hosted the three-day Lehigh Fall Invitational, while sophomore Mark Goldberg and freshman Mitchell Petersen competed at the ITA Northeast Regionals in Ithaca, N.Y. The Mountain Hawks enjoyed a strong weekend overall in their final competitions of the fall tennis season.
Lehigh opened up the Lehigh Fall Invitational on Friday, taking on Loyola. The Mountain Hawks swept all three doubles matches from the Greyhounds, and also prevailed in four of the five singles matches that were contested. Senior Edgars Rauza, sophomore Timur Chernykh and freshman Dan Goldblum all picked up wins in both singles and doubles for the Mountain Hawks.
Meanwhile, up at Cornell, Lehigh suffered two heartbreaking losses at the ITA Northeast Regionals. In doubles action Goldberg and Petersen got broken at 4-4 and fell 8-5 to a team from Fairfield, while in singles, Goldberg came up just short of Lehigh’s first-ever ITA main draw victory, dropping a 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 decision to Joseph Dube of Marist.
Saturday began with Lehigh opening up against the Red Flash of St. Francis (Pa.). In a strong team effort, the Mountain Hawks swept three doubles matches and won five of six singles matches as well. Saturday concluded with Lehigh playing three doubles matches against Patriot League rival Bucknell. The Mountain Hawks got an impressive win from junior Matt Savran and freshman Ben Gilman at the top singles flight, but the Bison prevailed in the other two matches.
Lehigh concluded the weekend by facing Delaware in doubles and singles matches on Sunday. Petersen enjoyed his best day as a Mountain Hawk winning at both doubles and singles as Lehigh won one doubles match and two singles contests. Petersen and Goldberg downed Andre Vorobyov and Nolan Gelman at No. 2 doubles, while in singles play Petersen beat the Blue Hens’ top player, Troy Beneck 6-1, 6-2. Chernykh also picked up a singles win, edging Gelman 7-6, 7-6.
The Lehigh Invitational concludes the Mountain Hawks fall schedule. Lehigh will open the 2012 spring season in late January.
Lehigh vs. Loyola (Md.)
1. Savran/Gilman (LU) def. Norton/Zingler (Loy) 9-8
2. Goldblum/Rauza (LU) def. Sanai/Kunkel (Loy) 8-3
3. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) def. Hamm/Michaelis (Loy) 8-5
1. Keyan Sanai (Loy) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-7, 6-3, 13-11
2. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Kevin Zingler (Loy) 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
3. Dan Goldblum (LU) def. Patrick Glaessner (Loy) 6-2, 6-2
4. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Keishi Goto (Loy) 6-7, 6-2, 10-7
5. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Ryan Fitzgerald (Loy) 6-0, 6-1
Lehigh vs. St. Francis (Pa.)
1. Savran/Gilman (LU) def. Rosa/Flemming (SFU) 8-1
2. Petersen/Chernykh (LU) def. Natchev/Jimenez (SFU) 8-3
3. Goldblum/Rauza (LU) def. Pardo/Barter (SFU) 8-4
Petersen wins 6-1, 6-2
Savran wins 6-3, 6-2
Gilman wins 6-3, 6-3
Goldblum wins 7-6, 2-1 ret.
Rauza loses 6-3, 7-6
Chernykh wins 6-4, 6-3
Lehigh vs. Bucknell
1. Savran/Gilman (LU) def. Zimmer/Cohenca (BU) 8-1
2. Katten/Morque (BU) def. Petersen/Chernykh (LU) 8-6
3. Maxson/Canibe (BU) def. Goldblum/Rauza (LU) 8-5
Lehigh vs. Delaware
1. Beneck/Lawton (UD) def. Gilman/Savran (LU) 8-5
2. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. Vorobyov/Gelman (UD) 8-3
3. Kent/Andrews (UD) def. Goldblum/Chernykh (LU) 8-5
1. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def.Troy Beneck (UD) 6-1, 6-2
2. Adam Lawton (UD) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Andre Vorobyov (UD) def. Ben Gilman (LU) 6-3, 7-6
4. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Nolan Gelman (UD) 7-6, 7-6
5. Jason Derene (UD) def. Dan Goldblum (LU) 3-6, 6-3, 12-10
6. Ian Leblanc (UD) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-3, 6-1
ITA Northeast Regionals
Joseph Dube (Marist) def. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
Tesmond/Zloblinsky (Fairfield) def. Goldberg/Petersen (Lehigh) 8-5