BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team clinched a berth in the Patriot League semifinals for the second straight year as the Mountain Hawks blanked Holy Cross 4-0 in the opening round of the tournament Friday on Lehigh’s Goodman Campus. With the win Lehigh improves to 14-6 on the season and the second seeded Mountain Hawks earn a date with No. 3 seed Navy in Saturday’s semifinals.
The Mountain Hawks’ bottom two doubles flights helped the Brown and White clinch the doubles point to take an early 1-0. At No. 2 doubles sophomores Matt Savran and Andrew Krentz shut out Chris Das and Ajeya Shekar 8-0, while at No. 3 doubles, seniors Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert clinched the first point of the match with an 8-3 win over Connor McCann and Chris Brosnan.
Doubles matches were played inside the Lewis Tennis Center while the Navy-Lafayette quarterfinal finished up. Singles matches were then contested outside on the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
In singles play, senior Collin Laffey extended Lehigh’s lead with a 6-0, 6-2 win over das at No. 2 singles. Krentz rolled to a 6-2, 6-2 win over McCann at No. 5 singles, while senior captain Troy List clinched Lehigh’s berth in the semifinals with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Matt Wierzel. The Mountain Hawks were ahead in all three matches that were not finished once Lehigh scored its fourth point.
Next up for the Mountain Hawks is Saturday’s semifinal match against Navy. The match is slated for a 2 p.m. start and will be played inside the Lewis Tennis Center due to the likelihood of inclement weather on Saturday. Top seed Army will meet No. 4 Bucknell in Saturday’s first semifinal at 10 a.m.
Lehigh 4, Holy Cross 0
1. List/Laffey (LU) vs. Wierzel/Sullvian (HC) 5-4, DNF
2. Savran/Krentz (LU) def. Das/Shekar (HC) 8-0
3. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) def. McCann/Brosnan (HC) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Troy List (LU) def. Matt Wierzel (HC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Chris Das (HC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Matt Savran (LU) vs. Ryan Sullivan (HC) 6-1, 4-2, DNF
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) vs. Chris Brosnan (HC) 6-3, 4-0, DNF
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Connor McCann (HC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Timur Chernykh (LU) vs. Ajeya Shekar (HC) 6-1, 4-2, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1