BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its final home match of the season, the Lehigh women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to Bucknell Tuesday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Bison swept through all three doubles flights and all six singles matches. The loss drops Lehigh to 5-11 overall and 2-2 in the Patriot League while Bucknell is now 9-10 overall and 3-2 in the league.
Bucknell captured the doubles point by sweeping all three flights. The closest match came at No. 2 singles where Daria Tuzhikova and Courtney Casey downed the Lehigh team of junior Liz Piscitelli and sophomore Abbey Perl 8-5.
Perl put forth the top Lehigh performance in singles play, taking the first set from Elena Vidrascu at No. 5 singles 6-3, but Vidrascu rallied to win the second set and then prevailed in a third-set tiebreak 10-5. The Bison clinched the match with wins at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 4 singles. Freshman Jenai Bilimoria played well in her match with Dumitrita Iepuras at No. 2 singles, but the Bison player won in straight sets 7-5, 6-3.
Lehigh will close out the regular season with two matches on the road, beginning Thursday when the Mountain Hawks travel to West Point, N.Y. to face first-place Army at 3 p.m.
Bucknell 7, Lehigh 0
1. Lucido/Iepuras (BU) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) 8-2
2. Tuzhikova/Casey (BU) def. Piscitelli/Perl (LU) 8-5
3. Dwojewski/Vidrascu (BU) def. Larkin/Sloand (LU) 8-4
1. Lauren Lucido (BU) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Dumitrita Iepuras (BU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Lauren Rottkamp (BU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Courtney Casey (BU) def. Trish Muething (LU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Elena Vidrascu (BU) def. Abbey Perl (LU) 3-6, 6-1, 10-5
6. Dara Dwojewski (BU) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-1, 6-2