HAMILTON, N.Y. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team dropped the doubles point, but rallied to win four singles matches as the Mountain Hawks moved to 2-1 in the Patriot League with a 4-2 win over Colgate Saturday on the Abrahamson Courts. Junior Liz Piscitelli clinched the match with a three-set win at No. 3 singles for the Mountain Hawks, who improve to 5-10 on the season.
The host Raiders won the top two doubles flights to capture the first point of the match. Lehigh did get a tiebreak win from freshmen Kathleen Larkin and Jill Sloand over Kelsey Shea and Becky Silvers at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play Larkin made quick work of Silvers, dropping just two games to put Lehigh on the board, while at No. 1 singles freshman Taylor Hampshire won 6-3, 7-5 over Stephanie Bender. Colgate’s only singles win came at No. 5 singles where Jen Marquite beat sophomore Abbey Perl in straight sets.
The matches at second, third and fourth singles all went three sets, and Lehigh players dropped the first set at No. 3 and No. 4. Sophomore Patricia Muething rallied to defeat Steph Brown 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 4 singles, and then Piscitelli rallied past Shea by the same score to clinch the match for the Brown and White. The match at No. 2 singles between freshman Jenai Bilimoria and Alex Petrini was not finished.
The Mountain Hawks have three matches left in the regular season and will return to the courts on Tuesday when they host Bucknell on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. First serves are set for 3 p.m.
Colgate 4, Lehigh 2
1. Petrini/Brown (CU) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) 8-6
2. Bender/Marquit (CU) def. Piscitelli/Perl (LU) 8-6
3. Larkin/Sloand (LU) def. Shea/Silvers (CU) 8-7
1. Taylor Hampshire (LU) def. Stephanie Bender (CU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Alex Petrini (CU) vs. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 3-6, 6-3, 3-2, DNF
3. Liz Piscitelli (LU) def. Kelsey Shea (CU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Steph Brown (CU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Jen Marquit (CU) def. Abbey Perl (LU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Kathleen Larkin (LU) def. Becky Silvers (CU) 6-2, 6-0