HAMILTON, N.Y. – Lehigh closed out the regular season by grinding out a 4-3 win over upstart Colgate Saturday on the Abrahamson Courts. The Mountain Hawks lost the doubles point and saw senior Troy List suffer his second straight defeat at first singles, but Lehigh prevailed at the middle four singles flights, winning two of them in three sets to escape with the win.
With the victory, Lehigh ends the regular season at 13-6 overall and 4-2 in the Patriot League, while Colgate falls to 6-11 and 1-4 in league matches.
The host Raiders went ahead early by capturing the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 flights. Lehigh’s lone doubles win came at No. 2 where sophomores Matt Savran and Andrew Krentz won 8-5 over Alex Goldstein and Parker Lewis.
Singles play started ominously for Lehigh as List fell 6-3, 6-3 to Luke Gensburg at No. 1 singles, but the Mountain Hawks found a way to respond with four straight doubles wins.
Freshman Mark Goldberg continued his impressive debut campaign, winning 6-1, 7-6 over Ruslan Goussaintnikov at No. 4 singles to clinch a perfect mark in Patriot League singles matches. Junior Ryan Krueger picked up Lehigh’s second win as he downed Phil Bernasek 6-4, 7-6 at No. 5 singles.
The matches at second, third and sixth singles all went to three sets. At No. 2 singles, Collin Laffey won the first set convincingly against Bobby Berkowitz, then dropped the second set 0-6, but rallied to win the third set and take the match 6-1, 0-6, 6-2. Savran put himself in a similar situation at No. 3 singles as he won the first set against Alec Goldstein but lost the second. In the third and deciding set, Savran was dominant as he clinched the match without dropping a game to win 6-3, 4-6, 6-0.
The Mountain Hawks will now shift focus towards the Patriot League tournament which they will host on the Ulrich Varsity Courts beginning Friday April 15.
Lehigh 4, Colgate 3
1. Bernasek/Goussaintnikov (CU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-5
2. Savran/Krentz (LU) def. Goldstein/Lewis (CU) 8-5
3. Gensberg/Spellberg (CU) def. Goldberg/Krueger (LU) 8-2
1. Luke Gensburg (CU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Bobby Berkowitz (CU) 6-1, 0-6, 6-2
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Alec Goldstein (CU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Ruslan Goussaintnikov (CU) 6-1, 7-6
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Phil Bernasek (CU) 6-4, 7-6
6. Connor Feuille (CU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 0-6, 6-4, 6-1