LEWISBURG, Pa. – Coming off its historic win over Navy on Sunday, Lehigh suffered a heartbreaking setback on Thursday as the Mountain Hawks fell to Bucknell by a 5-2 score. The Mountain Hawks won the doubles point, but the Bison rallied to win five of six singles matches, including two key three-set victories to clinch the match.
The loss drops Lehigh’s record to 12-6 overall and 3-2 in the Patriot League and ends the Mountain Hawks’ chances at a share of the Patriot League regular season title.
The doubles point came down to a tiebreaker at No. 1 singles, where seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey prevailed 9-8 over Anton Kovic and Evan Zimmer. Earlier in doubles play sophomores Matt Savran and Andrew Krentz won 8-3 over Gregg Cohenca and Mark Malloy.
Bucknell (9-7, 2-2 Patriot League) rallied to take a 3-1 lead with straight set wins at second, fifth and third singles. Freshman Mark Goldberg kept Lehigh in the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Josh Katten at No. 4 singles. The Bison however clinched the match when Zimmer rallied to beat Savran at No. 3 singles. Savran captured the first set 6-4, but Zimmer won the next two by 6-2, 6-2 scores. List took the first set at No. 1 singles, but Cohenca rallied to defeat the reigning Patriot League Player of the Month 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up the regular season on Saturday when they travel to Hamilton, N.Y. to face the Colgate Raiders. First serves are set for 10 a.m.
Bucknell 5, Lehigh 2
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Kovic/Zimmer (BU) 9-8
2. Savran/Krentz (LU) def. Cohena/Malloy (BU) 8-3
3. Katten/Morque (BU) def. Goldberg/Krueger (LU) 8-4
Order of finish 2, 3, 1
1. Gregg Cohenca (BU) def. Troy List (LU), 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Anton Kovic (BU) def. Collin Laffey (LU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Evan Zimmer (BU) def. Matt Savran (LU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Josh Katten (BU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Mark Malloy (BU) def. Ryan Krueger (LU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Kyle Rosen (BU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 6, 4, 3, 1