Lehigh rebounds with 5-2 win over Hunter
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team bounced back from Sunday’s loss to Navy with a 5-2 win over Hunter College Monday afternoon on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Mountain Hawks captured the bottom four singles flights and swept the doubles matches to improve to 4-10 on the season. Lehigh has now won three of its last four matches overall.
Playing outdoors the teams played singles matches first in case rain forced the remainder of the match inside. Lehigh was without its top two players but the bottom of the Mountain Hawks lineup stepped up sweeping the matches at No. 3 through No. 6 singles and dropping just two games in the process. Sophomore Abbey Perl won 6-0, 6-1 at third singles, while freshman Kathleen Larkin also dropped just one game in a win over Nora Milman at fourth singles. Freshmen Jill Sloand and Abigail Gendler did not drop a game in wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles.
In doubles action Lehigh won all three matches, getting shutout wins from the bottom two flights. At No. 1 doubles Perl teamed with junior Liz Piscitelli to grind out an 8-6 win over Jane Selegean and Jennifer Kraham.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Saturday when they travel to Colgate to take on the Raiders in a Patriot League match at 2 p.m.
Lehigh 5, Hunter 2
1. Jane Selegean (HC) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
2. Jennifer Kraham (HC) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
3. Abbey Perl (LU) def. Stefanie Smith (HC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Kathleen Larkin (LU) def. Nora Milman (HC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Jill Sloand (LU) def. Ericka Jaramillo (HC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Abigail Gendler (LU) def. Angelique Petropouleas (HC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Piscitelli/Perl (LU) def. Selegean/Kraham (HC) 8-6
2. Larkin/Sloand (LU) def. Smith/Jaramillo (HC) 8-0
3. Muething/Gendler (LU) def. Milman/Petropouleas (HC) 8-0