BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team improved to 2-1 in the Patriot League with a convincing 7-0 lead over Lafayette Tuesday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks prevailed in three tightly contested doubles matches before blowing the Leopards out in sweeping all six singles matches in straight sets. Lehigh is now 11-5 overall, and the Mountain Hawks are 16-2 against Lafayette across all sports this year.
Lafayette (4-7, 1-2 Patriot League) hung tough through the early part of doubles play, capitalizing on a number of Lehigh unforced errors. The Mountain Hawks number three team of freshman Mark Goldberg and junior Ryan Krueger picked up the first win with an 8-4 win over Scott Gelbman and Andrew Morris. Lehigh claimed the doubles point when sophomores Matt Savran and Andrew Krentz downed Doug Gallagher and Will Mercorella 8-5 at No. 2 doubles. The Mountain Hawks’ top team of seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey were pushed to the limit by Justin Haar and Sinan Ipeker, but prevailed 7-2 in a tiebreak after playing to a 7-7 deadlock.
List and Savran carried Lehigh early in singles play with dominating wins at first and third singles respectively. List dropped just two second-set games in a win over Haar, while Savran dropped just three in a win over Gelbman.
Leading 3-0 Goldberg clinched Lehigh’s third straight win over Lafayette with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Kyle MacLelland at No. 4 singles.
The remaining three singles matches all went Lehigh’s way, with Laffey winning 6-1, 6-2 over Gallagher at No. 2 singles, Krueger winning by the same score over Ipeker at No. 5 singles, and in the closest of the six matches, Krentz needed a second-set tiebreak to dispose of Mercorella 6-1, 7-6.
The Mountain Hawks will square off against defending Patriot League champion Navy, Sunday at 10 a.m. on the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Lehigh 7, Lafayette 0
1. List/Laffey (Lehigh) def. Haar/Ipeker (Lafayette) 8-7 (2)
2. Savran/Krentz (Lehigh) def. Gallagher/Mercorella (Lafayette) 8-5
3. Goldberg/Krueger (Lehigh) def. Gelbman/Morris (Lafayette) 8-4
1. Troy List (Lehigh) def. Justin Haar (Lafayette) 6-0, 6-2
2. Collin Laffey (Lehigh) def. Doug Gallagher (Lafayette) 6-1, 6-2
3. Matt Savran (Lehigh) def. Scott Gelbman (Lafayette) 6-0, 6-3
4. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh) def. Kyle MacLelland (Lafayette) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ryan Krueger (Lehigh) def. Sinan Ipeker (Lafayette) 6-1, 6-2
6. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh) def. Will Mercorella (Lafayette) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)