Lehigh blanks Holy Cross in PL opener for second straight win
WEST POINT, N.Y. – In its Patriot League opener, the Lehigh women’s tennis team rolled to its second straight win 7-0 over Holy Cross Sunday at Army’s Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won all three doubles matches convincingly and took all six singles matches in straight sets. With the win Lehigh improves to 3-9 overall and 1-0 in the league.
In doubles play, Lehigh allowed Holy Cross to win no more than three games in any match. Freshmen Taylor Hampshire and Jenai Bilimoria won 8-2 over Molly Montgomery and Emily Marr at No. 1 doubles. At second doubles junior Liz Piscitelli and junior Abbey Perl won 8-3 over Carolyn Chandley and Maya Welch. Freshmen Kathleen Larkin and Jill Sloand downed Mary McAuliffe and Emma Rudnik 8-2 at No. 3 doubles.
Lehigh continued its dominance into singles play winning all six matches in straight sets. Bilimoria and Sloand did not drop a game in 6-0, 6-0 wins at second and sixth singles respectively. Piscitelli dropped just two games in a 6-1, 6-1 win over Marr at third singles. Hampshire and Larkin prevailed at No. 1 and No. 5 singles yielding just three games apiece. Sophomore Patricia Muething won 7-5, 6-0 over Welch at No. 4 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Sunday April 3 when they host Patriot League rival Navy at 2 p.m. on the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Lehigh 7, Holy Cross 0
1. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) def. Montgomery/Marr (HC) 8-2
2. Piscitelli/Perl (LU) def. Chandley/Welch (HC) 8-3
3. Larkin/Sloand (LU) def. McAuliffe/Rudnik (HC) 8-2
1. Taylor Hampshire (LU) def. Molly Montgomery (HC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Liz Piscitelli (LU) def. Emily Marr (HC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Maya Welch (HC) 7-5, 6-0
5. Kathleen Larkin (LU) def. Mary McAuliffe (HC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jillian Sloand (LU) def. Emma Rudnik (HC) 6-0, 6-0