WEST POINT, N.Y. – After dominating Holy Cross Saturday in its Patriot League opener the Lehigh men’s tennis team had high hopes heading into Sunday’s matchup with Army, but the host Black Knights dealt the Mountain Hawks their first league loss 6-1 at the Lichtenberg Tennis Center. Army won the bottom two doubles flights and five singles matches to improve to 4-0 in the league and 9-9 overall. Lehigh drops to 10-5 overall and 1-1 in league matches.
Seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey picked up a win at No. 1 doubles, downing Tripp Johnson and Donald Van Velzer 8-4, but Army won at the No. 2 and No. 3 flights to take an early 1-0 lead in the match. The Mountain Hawks sent out sophomores Andrew Krentz and Matt Savran at No. 2 doubles and junior Ryan Krueger and freshman Mark Goldberg at No. 3 doubles.
The Black Knights extended their lead with straight set wins at the top three singles flights, including a 6-2, 6-2 win for Asika Isoh over List at No. 1 singles.
Lehigh’s lone point came from Goldberg, who won 6-0, 7-6 over Johnson at No. 4 singles. Krueger and Krentz both won one set at fifth and sixth singles, but fell in third set ten-point tiebreakers.
There will be a short turnaround for the Mountain Hawks who will return to the court on Tuesday when they host arch rival Lafayette. The match is set for a 3 p.m. start from the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
1. List/Laffey (Lehigh) def. Johnson/Van Velzer (Army) 8-4
2. Holland/Kushnirovic (Army) def. Krentz/Savran (Lehigh) 8-5
3. Isoh/Jang-Milsten (Army) def. Krueger/Goldberg (Lehigh) 8-3
1. Asika Isoh (Army) def. Troy List (Lehigh) 6-2, 6-2
2. Gary Kushnirovic (Army) def. Collin Laffey (Lehigh) 6-0, 6-1
3. Donald Van Velzer (Army) def. Matt Savran (Lehigh) 6-1, 6-1
4. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh) def. Tripp Johnson (Army) 6-0, 7-6
5. Alex Holland (Army) def. Ryan Krueger (Lehigh) 6-2, 5-7, 10-5
6. Henry Jang-Milsten (Army) def. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh) 6-7, 6-3, 11-9