BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Behind strong play from the bottom half of its singles lineup the Lehigh women’s tennis team won its second match of the spring, a narrow 4-3 decision over Saint Joseph’s Sunday on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Mountain Hawks won the doubles point and three singles matches to improve their season record to 2-9.
In doubles action Lehigh captured the first match at No. 3 doubles as freshmen Kathleen Larkin and Jill Sloand won 8-3 over Devi Jadeja and Jenna Procyk. Lehigh clinched the doubles point at No. 2 doubles as junior Liz Piscitelli and sophomore Abbey Perl downed Tara Walsh and Kate Dowd 9-7. The No. 1 doubles match went to Saint Joseph’s 9-8 in a tiebreak.
Singles play saw the Hawks take the top three flights, but Lehigh was dominant in flights four through six to pick up the clinching points. Perl won 6-2, 6-1 over Dowd at No. 5 singles while Larkin won 6-1, 6-1 over Procyk at No. 6 singles. Sophomore Patricia Muething clinched the match for Lehigh with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Walsh at No. 4 singles.
Lehigh will return to the court on Sunday March 27 when they open Patriot League play against Holy Cross. The match, set for a 1 p.m. start, will be played on the campus of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.
Lehigh 4, Saint Joseph’s 3
1. Mullaney/Robinson (SJU) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) 9-8
2. Piscitelli/Perl (LU) def. Walsh/Dowd (SJU) 9-7
3. Larkin/Sloand (LU) def. Jadeja/Procyk (SJU) 8-3
1. Casey Robinson (SJU) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Devi Jadeja (SJU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Maggie Mullaney (SJU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Tara Walsh (SJU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Abbey Perl (LU) def. Kate Dowd (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Kathleen Larkin (LU) def. Jenna Procyk (SJU) 6-1, 6-1