BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In their first match since spring break, Lehigh played its first outdoor home match of the season, defeating Saint Joseph’s 6-1 Sunday on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and took five of six singles matches to win their second straight match as they improve to 9-4 on the season.
Behind strong doubles play, Lehigh swept the doubles match to take an early 1-0 lead. Seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey won 8-3 at No. 1 doubles while sophomores Matt Savran and Andrew Krentz won 8-4 over Alex Veronis and Dan Barrus at No. 2 doubles. In the third doubles match junior Ryan Krueger and freshman Mark Goldberg outlasted Tommy Gates and Kristian Broaddus 9-7.
In singles action, Laffey extended Lehigh’s lead to 2-0 with a dominating 6-2, 6-1 win over Jeff Kessler at No. 2 singles. Krueger followed with a 7-5, 6-0 win over Peter Cognetti at No. 4 singles, before List clinched the match for the Mountain Hawks with a 7-6, 6-2 win over Alex Veronis at No. 1 singles.
The other three singles matches required third set ten-point tiebreakers. Lehigh picked up wins from Krentz at No. 5 singles and freshman Timur Chernykh at No. 6 singles, while Saint Joseph’s accounted for its only point as Gates beat Savran at No. 3 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Saturday, March 26 when they open up Patriot League play against Holy Cross. The match will be played at Army and will start at 4 p.m. from West Point, N.Y.
Lehigh 6, Saint Joseph’s 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Kessler/Cognetti (SJU) 8-3
2. Savran/Krentz (LU) def. Veronis/Barrus (SJU) 8-4
3. Goldberg/Krueger (LU) def. Gates/Broaddus (SJU) 9-7
1. Troy List (LU) def. Alex Veronis (SJU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Jeff Kessler (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Tommy Gates (SJU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-7, 6-3, 11-9
4. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Peter Cognetti (SJU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Dan Barrus (SJU) 5-7, 6-2, 13-11
6. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Kristian Broaddus (SJU) 6-4, 6-7, 10-4