BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Returning home after its Florida road trip, the Lehigh women’s tennis team couldn’t win its second straight home match as it dropped a 7-0 final to UMBC on Thursday. The duo of Liz Piscitelli and Abbey Perl accounted for the Mountain Hawks’ lone win on the afternoon at No. 2 doubles.
The doubles pair earned a solid 8-3 victory over Julia Gragera-Cano and Kyri Hadji, but it wasn’t enough as the Retrievers won first and third doubles by 8-3 and 8-1 finals, respectively.
The Mountain Hawks struggled in singles play as UMBC won all six matches in straight sets. Kathleen Larkin did put up an especially strong effort at No. 6, falling to Hadji in a tight affair, 6-3, 7-5.
Lehigh (1-9) will look to get back in the win column on Sunday when it hosts Saint Joseph’s at noon.
UMBC 7, Lehigh 0
1. Kim Berghaus (UMBC) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Carmen Jackman (UMBC) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-2,6-0
3. Julia Gragera-Cano (UMBC) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Heidi Danielsson (UMBC) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Emily Mannix (UMBC) def. Abbey Perl (LU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kyri Hadji (UMBC) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-3, 7-5
1. Berghaus/Jackman (UMBC) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU), 8-3
2. Piscitelli/Pearl (LU) def. Gragera-Cano/Hadji (UMBC) 8-3
3. Danielsson/Mannix (UMBC) def. Muething/Larkin (LU) 8-1