FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team returned to the court with two matches Monday and Tuesday as part of their spring break trip to Florida. The Mountain Hawks opened the trip by falling 5-0 to Troy in a modified-format match on Monday. Tuesday morning Lehigh and SIU-Edwardsville split six singles matches but the Cougars took the doubles point to prevail 4-3.
After a rough go against a tough Troy squad on Monday, Lehigh appeared to be primed for a bounce-back effort against SIU-Edwardsville. The teams played six singles matches first with each team winning three. At No. 1 singles freshman Taylor Hampshire outlasted Carli Connors in a ten-point third set tiebreak to win 6-2, 6-7, 12-10. Classmate Kathleen Larkin also needed a ten-point tiebreak but prevailed 7-6, 2-6, 10-6 over Amanda Miller at No. 6 singles. Sophomore Patricia Muething had the easiest road to a win, dispatching Joanna Corkern in straight sets 7-6, 6-4.
With the teams tied at three the match came down to doubles, where the Cougars prevailed, winning the bottom two flights. Hampshire and doubles partner Jenai Bilimoria won 8-3 over Corkern and Connors at No. 1 doubles, but Ali Wulfers and Laura Horning clinched the match with an 8-2 win over Larkin and sophomore Abbey Perl at No. 3 doubles.
On Monday Lehigh and Troy played a modified one doubles, four singles format, with the Trojans winning all five matches. Three of the matches were by 6-0, 6-0 scores. Bilimoria took four games off Olfa Dhaoui at No. 2 singles while Larkin won four second-set games from Roxy Ramirez-Vega.
The Mountain Hawks (1-8) will look to bounce back on Sunday, March 20 when they host Saint Joseph’s at noon inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Troy 5, Lehigh 0
Dorofeeva/Veiga (Troy) def. Piscitelli/Perl (LU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Karoline Grymel (Troy) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Olfa Dhaoui (Troy) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Leonie Gujit (Troy) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Roxy Ramirez-Vega (Troy) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-0, 6-4
SIU-Edwardsville 4, Lehigh 3
1. Taylor Hampshire (LU) def. Carli Connors (SIUE) 6-2, 6-7, 12-10
2. Maggie Boeckman (SIUE) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Laura Horning (SIUE) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Joanna Corkern (SIUE) 7-6, 6-4
5. Rachel Webb (SIUE) def. Abbey Perl (LU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Kathleen Larkin (LU) def. Amanda Miller (SIUE) 7-6, 2-6,10-6
1. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) def. Corkern/Connonrs (SIUE) 8-3
2. Webb/Boeckman (SIUE) def. Muething/Sloand (LU) 8-1
3. Wulfers/Horning (SIUE) def. Perl/Larkin (LU) 8-2