FORT MYERS, Fla. – In its first of two spring break matches in Florida, the Lehigh men’s tennis team was edged by Florida Gulf Coast 4-3 Sunday at the FGCU tennis contest. The Eagles won four singles matches to post their first victory of the season, while the Mountain Hawks suffered their second straight loss and fall to 7-4 on the season.
The threat of inclement weather forced the teams to play singles matches first. Senior Troy List picked up a win at No. 1 singles, downing Gabriel Echeverry 7-5, 6-2, while sophomore Matt Savran was dominant in a 6-1, 6-1 win over Steve Binninger at No. 3 singles. Florida Gulf Coast picked up straight set wins at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 6 singles, while Dean Tsamas clinched the win for the Eagles with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 win over sophomore Andrew Krentz at No. 5 singles.
Lehigh did claim the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. List and partner Collin Laffey won 8-1 over Carlo Checchia and Tsamas at No. 1, while junior Ryan Krueger and freshman Mark Goldberg defeated Binninger and Collin Brown by the same 8-1 score.
The Mountain Hawks will conclude their Florida trip on Tuesday when they face SIU-Edwardsville in Fort Myers, Fla.
FGCU 4, Lehigh 3
1. Troy List (Lehigh) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU), 7-5, 6-2
2. Matt Rock (FGCU) def. Collin Laffey (Lehigh), 6-1, 6-3
3. Matt Savran (Lehigh) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Carlo Checchia (FGCU) def. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh), 6-2, 6-3
5. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Timur Chernykh (Lehigh), 6-1, 6-1
1. List and Laffey (Lehigh) def. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU), 8-1
2. Rock and Echeverry (FGCU) def. Savran and Silbert (Lehigh), 8-1
3. Ryan Krueger and Goldberg (Lehigh) def. Binninger and Collin Brown (FGCU), 8-1