Delaware snaps Lehigh's hot streak with 5-2 win
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its final match of a nine-match home stand, Lehigh saw its six match winning streak come to an end as the Mountain Hawks fell to Delaware 5-2 Wednesday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Blue Hens won two doubles matches and four singles matches to win their first match of the spring while Lehigh falls to 7-3 with the loss.
In doubles action Lehigh’s 74th-ranked team of seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey fell 8-6 to Courtney Scott and Chris Hincker at No. 1 doubles. The Blue Hens also won at No. 2 doubles to clinch the doubles point, while Lehigh picked up a win at No. 3 doubles as senior Arnaldo Pacheco and freshman Mark Goldberg won 9-8 in a tiebreak over Ryan Kent and Robby Kay at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play List moved to 8-2 with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Scott at first singles. Goldberg accounted for Lehigh’s second point as he downed Hincker 6-4, 6-2 at No. 4 singles to improve his record to 8-1. Delaware took a 3-2 lead with wins at second and third singles. The Blue Hens also picked up wins from Jeff Marshall over junior Ryan Krueger at No. 5 singles and Ryan Kent over Andrew Krentz at No. 6 singles to close out the match.
The Mountain Hawks will now head to Fort Myers, Florida for a pair of matches over spring break. Lehigh will face Florida Gulf Coast Sunday at 1 p.m. before meeting SIU-Edwardsville on Tuesday.
Delaware 5, Lehigh 2
1. Scott/Hincker (UD) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-6
2. Beneck/Vorobyov (UD) def. Savran/Silbert (LU) 8-2
3. Goldberg/Pacheco (LU) def. Kent/Kay (UD) 9-8 (3)
1. Troy List (LU) def. Courtney Scott (UD) 6-2, 6-3
2. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Collin Laffey (UD) 6-1, 6-2
3. Andre Vorobyov (UD) def. Matt Savran (LU) 7-6, 6-4
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Chris Hincker (UD) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jeff Marshall (UD) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ryan Kent (UD) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-4, 6-4