BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh rolled to its sixth straight win on Sunday with a commanding 7-0 shutout of St. Francis (N.Y.) Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept through three doubles matches and did not drop a set in winning all six singles matches. With the win, Lehigh closes the first month of the season at 7-2 overall.
In doubles action Lehigh’s 71st-ranked team of seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey won 8-0 at No. 1 doubles while the No. 2 team of senior Cameron Silbert and sophomore Matt Savran clinched the doubles point with an 8-2 win over Edward Alontaga and Martin Grunin. Lehigh’s No. 3 team of senior Arnaldo Pacheco and freshman Mark Goldberg also prevailed by an 8-2 score.
In singles play, the Mountain Hawks extended their lead with convincing straight set wins from Laffey, Savran and Goldberg and the second, third and fourth flights.
List won the first set over Danlahdi Robinson 6-0 but was pushed to a tiebreak in the second set. The reigning Patriot League Player of the Year won the tiebreak 7-0 to win the match 6-0, 7-6.
“It all starts with leadership and Troy List in particular,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook of his team’s recent winning ways. “It was a rough week of exams for our guys. Troy was down in his match on Friday against George Mason, but didn’t say anything. Just kept his composure and kept working at it and he was able to come back and win. One of the things we’ve stressed this season is keeping our composure, and just taking things one point at a time, one game at a time and one set at a time.”
Shook inserted freshman Timur Chernykh and junior Edgars Rauza at the bottom two singles flights and both men delivered straight set wins.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap up their nine match home stand on Wednesday when they host Delaware at 3 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7, St. Francis (N.Y.) 0
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Mba/Robinson (SFC) 8-0
2. Savran/Silbert (LU) def. Alontaga/Grunin (SFC) 8-2
3. Goldberg/Pacheco (LU) def. Brennan-Tsang/Tokarz (SFC) 8-2
1. Troy List (LU) def. Danlahdi Robinson (SFC) 6-0, 7-6
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. James Brennan-Tsang (SFC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Tita Mba (SFC) 6-4, 6-0
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Edward Alontaga (SFC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Martin Grunin (SFC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Dan Gonzalez (SFC) 6-1, 6-1