BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team kept its recent winning ways going by defeating George Mason 7-0 Friday night at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won the top two doubles flights and then followed up by sweeping the singles matches. The win, Lehigh’s fifth in a row ups Lehigh’s season record to 6-2.
Seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey continued their winning ways with an 8-3 win over Jorge Osuna and Taylor Sargent at No. 1 doubles. The win ups List and Laffey’s record to 6-2 in doubles this season. Sophomore Matt Savran and senior Cameron Silbert clinched the doubles point for the Brown and White with an 8-4 win over Kevin McMiller and Chris Borden at No. 2 doubles.
The top four singles flights began with tightly contested first sets, before Lehigh broke through to pick up victories. Laffey and Savran extended Lehigh’s lead to 3-0 with straight set wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles respectively. Junior Ryan Krueger clinched the match for the Mountain Hawks with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Borden as he moved up to No. 4 singles in place of freshman Mark Goldberg who was held out of singles due to illness.
At No.1 singles List dropped the first set to McMiller 4-6 but rallied in the second to win 7-6 after taking the tiebreak 7-3. With the match already decided in Lehigh’s favor, List won a third-set ten-point tiebreak 10-1. Sophomore Andrew Krentz and freshman Timur Chernykh won at the bottom two singles flights to complete the Lehigh shutout.
The Mountain Hawks will go for consecutive win No. 6 on Sunday when they host St. Francis (N.Y.) at the Lewis Tennis Center at 1 p.m.
Lehigh 7, George Mason 0
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Osuna/Sargent (GM) 8-3
2. Savran/Silbert (LU) def. McMiller/Borden (GM) 8-4
3. Borsanyi/Phaup (GM) def. Goldberg/Pacheco (LU)
1. Troy List (LU) def. Kevin McMiller (GM) 4-6, 7-6 (3),10-1
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Jordan Borsanyi (GM) 6-3, 6-1
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Taylor Sargent (GM) 6-4, 6-1
4. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Chris Borden (GM) 6-4, 7-5
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Pat Malquin (GM) 6-4, 6-0
6. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Steve Hyre (GM) 7-5, 6-3