Lehigh women upended by George Mason, 7-0
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – With two matches remaining in its season-opening seven match home stand Lehigh hoped to get into the win column, but George Mason handed the Mountain Hawks their sixth straight defeat, 7-0 Friday at the Lewis Tennis Center. Sophomore Abbey Perl won a set at No. 4 singles but the visiting Patriots swept the doubles matches and all six singles matches.
Perl won the first set against Delaney 7-5, but Delaney rallied to win the second set 6-3. The Patriots had already clinched the match so Perl and Delaney played a third-set ten-point tiebreak, which Delaney won by a 10-6 score.
George Mason swept through the doubles handily and won the top three singles matches to clinch the victory. Freshman Taylor Hampshire was competitive against Kiersten Pappas at No. 1 singles, but fell by a 6-4, 6-4 score.
Lehigh will try again for the elusive first victory on Saturday when they host St. Francis (N.Y.) in the finale of the seven match home stand. The match is scheduled for a 4:30 p.m. start from the Lewis Tennis Center.
George Mason 7, Lehigh 0
1. Pappas/Gray (GM) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) 8-2
2. Wingo/Fotovat (GM) def. Muething/Perl (LU) 8-1
3. Desiatnikova/Delaney (GM) def. Larkin/Sloand (LU) 8-3
1. Kiersten Pappas (GM) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Lindsay Gray (GM) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Alison Wingo (GM) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ashley Delaney (GM) def. Abbey Perl (LU) 5-7, 6-3, 10-6
5. Brooke Blackwell (GM) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Aryn Christman (GM) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-1, 6-1