BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh’s women’s tennis team picked up its first points of the season, but the end result was similar to its first four matches as Mount St. Mary’s rallied for a 4-3 win over the Mountain Hawks Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won the doubles point but the Mountaineers won four of the six singles matches to earn their first win of the season.
The loss drops Lehigh to 0-5 on the season.
The match started with the Mountain Hawks capturing the doubles point, thanks to their four freshmen in the lineup. Taylor Hampshire and Jenai Bilimoria won 8-3 over Emily Bolchoz and Renee Deane at No. 1 doubles. After the Mountaineers won at No. 2 doubles the match came down to No. 3 doubles where Kathleen Larkin and Jill Sloand needed a tiebreaker to edge Emma Haley and Carly Landini 9-8. Larkin and Sloand won the tiebreaker 9-7 which gave Lehigh a 1-0 lead in the match.
Mount St. Mary’s picked up a win at No. 3 singles to pull even, while the matches at No. 1, 2 and 4 singles all went three sets. Hampshire and Bilimoria both one the first sets of their matches at the top two flights, but Bolchoz and Pinchoff rallied for three-set wins. Lehigh picked up a win from sophomore Abby Perl who won when Landini retired down 2-0 in the third set. Freshman Jill Sloand won a third set tiebreak 10-0 at No. 6 singles, but Haley clinched the match for the visiting Mountaineers with a 7-6, 6-2 win over Larkin at No. 5 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up their season-opening seven match homestand next weekend when they host George Mason Friday at 4:30 p.m. and St. Francis (N.Y.) Sunday at 1 p.m.
Mount St. Mary’s 4, Lehigh 3
1. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) def. Bolchoz/Deane (MSM) 8-3
2. Pinchoff/Conroy (MSM) def. Muething/Perl (LU) 8-3
3. Larkin/Sloand (LU) def. Haley/Deane (MSM) 9-8 (9-7)
1. Emily Bolchoz (MSM) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Sam Pinchoff (MSM) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
3. Kelly Conroy (MSM) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Abby Perl (LU) def. Carly Landini (MSM) 6-4, 6-7, 2-0 (retired)
5. Emma Haley (MSM) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 7-6, 6-2
6. Jill Sloand (LU) def. Renee Deane (LU) 6-2, 6-7,10-0