BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its best all-around performance of the young season Lehigh won its fourth straight match, blanking Mount St. Mary’s 7-0 Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept through three doubles matches and won all six singles matches, dropping just one set in the process as they improve to 5-2 on the season.
Lehigh began the day by sweeping the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. At No. 3 doubles freshman Mark Goldberg and senior Arnaldo Pacheco won 8-1 over Patrick Plastow and Andrew Marinucci, while seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey moved to 5-2 on the season with an 8-3 win over Matt Blake and Taylor Place.
The Mountain Hawks continued their dominance in singles play winning all six matches. List was a straight set winner at No. 1 singles, while sophomore Matt Savran clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Mike Zabetakis at No. 3 singles. Head coach Dave Shook was able to juggle his lineup a bit, as junior Edgars Rauza picked up a win at No. 6 singles and freshman Timur Chernykh earned his first varsity point with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Plastow at No. 5 singles.
Lehigh continues its nine-match home stand next weekend when the Mountain Hawks host George Mason Friday at 1 p.m. and St. Francis (N.Y.) Sunday at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7, Mount St. Mary’s 0
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Blake/Place (MSM) 8-3
2. Savran/Silbert (LU) def. Salomon/Zabetakis (MSM) 8-4
3. Goldberg/Pacheco (LU) def. Plastow/Marinucci (MSM) 8-1
1. Troy List (LU) def. Matt Blake (MSM) 6-1, 6-3
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Mike Salomon (MSM) 6-3, 5-7, 10-8
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Mike Zabetakis (MSM) 6-0, 6-4
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Taylor Place (MSM) 7-5, 6-0
5. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Patrick Plastow (MSM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Andrew Marinucci (MSM) 6-3, 6-0