BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Playing its second match in a three-day span, Lehigh suffered its fourth straight loss to open the season, a 7-0 setback to Towson Saturday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Tigers swept all three doubles and all six singles matches to win their season-opener, while Lehigh falls to 0-4.
The closest match in doubles came at the top flight where Lehigh’s freshmen tandem of Taylor Hampshire and Jenai Bilimoria took five games from Andrea Samlin and Nani Linzana.
Towson continued its dominance into singles play, winning at No. 6 and No.1 before clinching the match at No. 3 singles as Ioana Aprodu won in straight sets over Junior Liz Piscitelli.
Lehigh’s best effort came from sophomore Patricia Muething who erased a second-set deficit to force a tiebreak before ultimately bowing to Caitlin White at No. 4 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will try again for their first win on Sunday when they complete a stretch of three matches in four days against Mount St. Mary’s. The match will immediately follow the men’s match between the Mountain Hawks and Mountaineers, which begins at noon.
Towson 7, Lehigh 0
1. Samlin/Linzana (TU) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) 8-5
2. Aprodu/Burke (TU) def. Piscitelli/Larkin (LU) 8-3
3. Daub/Shah (TU) def. Muething/Perl (LU) 8-4
1. Aandria Carr (TU) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Nani Linzana (TU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ioana Aprodu (TU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Caitlin White (TU) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Andrea Samlin (TU) def. Abbey Perl (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Nisha Shah (TU) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-3, 6-4