BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey won at No. 1 doubles and the top two singles flights to lead Lehigh to its third straight win as the Mountain Hawks downed Monmouth 6-1 Friday at the Lewis Tennis Center. Lehigh won the top two doubles flights and five of six singles matches to improve to 4-2 on the spring season.
List and Laffey, ranked 71st in doubles by the ITA, celebrated their first week in the national rankings by downing Laurence Heads and Ian Terpilowski 8-6. An 8-5 win from sophomore Matt Savran and senior Cameron Silbert over David Sherwood and Harveer Bhalla allowed the Mountain Hawks to capture the first point of the match.
Laffey extended Lehigh’s lead to 2-0 with a straight set win over Sherwood at No. 2 singles, while List put the Mountain Hawks a point away from victory with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Heads at No. 1 singles.
Freshman Mark Goldberg clinched the win for the Brown and White, defeating Amar Subasic 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4 singles. Goldberg was cruising and built a 5-0 lead in the second set before holding off a late Subasic rally. Lehigh closed the match in style at the bottom of the lineup with junior Ryan Krueger and sophomore Andrew Krentz dominant in straight set wins at fifth and sixth singles respectively.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action in search of their fourth straight win on Sunday when they host Mount St. Mary’s at noon inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 6, Monmouth 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Heads/Terpilowski (MU) 8-6
2. Savran/Silbert (LU) def. Sherwood/Bhalla (MU) 8-5
3. Subasic/Rothstein (MU) def. Goldberg/Pacheco (LU) 9-8 (1)
1. Troy List (LU) def. Laurence Heads (MU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. David Sherwood (MU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Harveer Bhalla (MU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Amar Subasic (MU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Ian Terpilowski (MU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Jason Rothstein (MU) 6-0, 6-1