BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team picked up its second straight win, downing Richmond by a 6-1 score Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles matches to earn the first point before capturing five singles matches. Junior Ryan Krueger clinched the match with a win at No. 5 singles for Lehigh, which improves to 3-2 with the win.
The Mountain Hawks captured the top two doubles flights to take an early 1-0 lead. Seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey downed A.J. Nelson and Rafa Arana 8-4 at No. 1 doubles, while senior Cameron Silbert teamed with Matt Savran beat Sebastien Fauchet and Zach Carl 8-3 at No. 2 doubles.
In singles play freshman Mark Goldberg extended the Lehigh lead with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Carl at No. 4 singles. Savran then made it 3-0 Lehigh with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Justin Baker at No. 3 singles. With the top two singles matches going three sets Krueger stepped up at No. 5 singles and beat Dylan Schrode 6-2, 7-5 to cement the win. List rallied to defeat Fauchet in three sets at No. 1 singles, dropping a first set tiebreak before winning a second set tiebreak and taking the third set 6-3. Sophomore Andrew Krentz closed out the match with a straight set win over Arana at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will continue their lengthy home stand with two matches next weekend. Lehigh will host Monmouth Friday at 4 p.m. and Mount St. Mary’s Sunday at noon.
Lehigh 6, Richmond 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Nelson/R. Arana (UR) 8-4
2. Silbert/Savran (LU) def. Fauchet/Carl (UR) 8-3
3. Schrode/Baker (UR) def. Pacheco/Goldberg (LU) 8-6
1. Troy List (LU) def. Sebastien Fauchet (UR) 6-7, 7-6, 6-3
2. A.J. Nelson (UR) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Justin Baker (UR) 6-2, 6-4
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Zach Carl (UR) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Dylan Schrode (UR) 6-2, 7-5
6. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Rafa Arana (UR) 6-5, 6-2