BETHLEHEM, Pa. – After dropping the doubles point Lehigh rallied to win four of six singles match as the Mountain Hawks edged Georgetown 4-3 Saturday at the Lewis Tennis Center. In a match that lasted nearly five hours, junior Ryan Krueger won at No. 5 singles for the Mountain Hawks to cap the comeback as Lehigh evens its season record at 2-2.
The visiting Hoyas captured the first point by sweeping all three doubles matches. The closest match came at No. 1 doubles where Andrew Bruhn and Michael Clarke edged seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey 9-8 after winning the pro set tiebreak 7-4.
Sophomore Andrew Krentz got Lehigh’s singles comeback started with a 7-5, 7-5 win over Rafael Notario at No. 6 singles. List followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Bryan Miller at No. 1 singles. Freshmen Mark Goldberg then defeated Brian Ward 6-1, 6-2 to put the Mountain Hawks up 3-1.
Lehigh was one point away from victory but Georgetown picked up wins at No. 3 singles where Charlie Caris beat sophomore Matt Savran and at No. 2 singles where Bruhn outlasted Laffey in two sets. The match came down to No. 5 where Krueger defeated Casey Distaso 7-6, 6-4 to earn Lehigh a split on the weekend.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday, February 13 when they host Richmond at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 4, Georgetown 3
1. Bruhn/Clarke (GU) def. Laffey/List (LU) 9-8 (4)
2. Miller/Distaso (GU) def. Savran/Silbert (LU) 8-6
3. Friedlich/Caris (GU) def. Goldberg/Pacheco (LU) 8-3
1. Troy List (LU) def. Bryan Miller (GU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Andrew Bruhn (GU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
3. Charlie Caris (GU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 7-6, 6-1
4. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Brian Ward (GU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Casey Distaso (GU) 7-6, 6-4
6. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Rafael Notario (GU) 7-5, 7-5