BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh picked up its first win of the spring season Sunday with a 7-0 blanking of Fairleigh Dickinson at the Lewis Tennis Center. Seniors Troy List and Collin Laffey prevailed in a tiebreaker at No. 1 doubles to give Lehigh the doubles point and the Mountain Hawks proceeded to sweep all six singles matches to improve to 1-1 on the season.
The doubles point came down to the No. 1 flight after FDU prevailed at No. 2 doubles and Lehigh’s team of freshman Mark Goldberg and senior Arnaldo Pacheco won 8-4 over Dom Hemy and Dom Devaux-Lovell at No. 3 doubles. List and Laffey prevailed in the tiebreak 7-5 to win 9-8 over Ibrahim Shams and Peter Skvarka and give the Mountain Hawks a 1-0 lead.
The Mountain Hawks then put the match away with straight set wins at three of the top four singles flights. List downed Shams 6-3, 6-3 at No. 1 singles, sophomore Matt Savran won 6-3, 6-0 over Skvarka at No. 3 singles and Golberg won his first college singles point downing Yuri Gricheno 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
Laffey was pushed to a third set at No. 2 singles but rallied from a set down to defeat Hemy 3-6, 6-3, 6-1. Sophomore Andrew Krentz moved to 2-0 on the season with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Guillermo Paiz at No. 6 singles, while junior Ryan Krueger won a third-set ten-point tiebreak to earn the point at No. 5 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court for two matches next weekend. Lehigh will host Stetson Friday at 11 a.m. and Georgetown Saturday at 9 a.m. at the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7, FDU 0
1. List/Laffey (Lehigh) def. Shams/Skvarka (FDU) 9-8 (5)
2. Gricheno/Jemersic (FDU) def. Silbert/Savran (Lehigh) 8-4
3. Goldberg/Pacheco (Lehigh) def. D. Hemy/Devaux-Lovell (FDU) 8-4
1. Troy List (Lehigh) def. Ibrahim Shams (FDU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Collin Laffey (Lehigh) def. Dom Hemy (FDU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Matt Savran (Lehigh) def. Peter Skvarka (FDU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh) def. Yuri Gricheno (FDU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ryan Kruger (Lehigh) def. Mark Hemy (FDU) 6-2, 2-6, 10-?
6. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh) def. Guillermo Paiz (FDU) 6-2, 6-4
Photography by Leah Kulp ’12. Used with permission.