Posted: April 24, 2010
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Lehigh’s run through the Patriot League tournament came to an end on Saturday as the Mountain Hawks fell to Army 4-1 in the tournament semifinals at Bucknell’s Varsity Tennis Courts. Junior Troy List accounted for Lehigh’s lone point with a win at No. 1 singles and he and partner Collin Laffey also won at first doubles, but Army won the doubles point and three singles matches to move into Saturday’s final against Navy. The Mountain Hawks’ season comes to an end at 10-12.
List and Laffey made quick work of Gary Kushnirovich and Rashad Shelton, winning 8-1 at No. 1 doubles, but the Black Knights won 8-5 at No. 2 doubles as Chris Albornoz and John Lucero downed juniors Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert.
For the second straight day the doubles point came down to third doubles and a tiebreaker was once again needed. Donald Van Velzer and Tripp Johnson won the tiebreak over freshman Matt Savran and sophomore Ryan Krueger 7-5 to win the match 9-8.
In singles play, Lucero extended Army’s lead to 2-0 with a straight set win over Savran at No. 4. List picked up a three-set win over Kushnirovich to put Lehigh on the board, but Army picked up a win at sixth singles as Lucivero beat Krentz 6-4, 6-3 and then clinched the match when Albornoz beat Laffey 7-5, 6-3 at second singles. The two matches that did not finish were both in the third set.
The Mountain Hawks season comes to an end after its first semifinal appearance since 2000. With no seniors on the roster Lehigh returns its entire squad for the 2010-11 season.
Army 4, Lehigh 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Kushnirovich/Shelton (Army) 8-1
2. Albornoz/Lucero (Army) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 8-5
3. Van Velzer/Johnson (Army) def. Savran/Krueger (LU) 9-8 (5)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Troy List (LU) def. Gary Kushnirovich (Army) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
2. Chris Albornoz (Army) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Donald Van Velzer (Army) vs. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-4, 6-7, 0-0, DNF
4. John Lucero (Army) def. Matt Savran (LU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Tripp Johnson (Army) vs. Ryan Krueger (LU) 5-7, 6-3, 2-2, DNF
6. Bruno Lucivero (Army) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6, 2
DNF: 3, 5,