Posted: March 30, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh dropped the first three flights of singles, but rallied back to win each of the bottom three flights in three sets. That combined with the doubles point helped lead the Mountain Hawks past Fordham 4-3 Friday night on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. Sophomore Ruthie Furman clinched the match with a 5-7, 6-4, 7-5 win over Martina Featherston at No. 5 singles, as Lehigh improves to 6-8 on the season, while the Rams fall to 3-5.
The Mountain Hawks captured the doubles point, picking up wins at the second and third flights to take an early 1-0 lead. Furman teamed with freshman Julie Arthofer to win 9-7 over Martina Featherston and Doina Sandor at second doubles, while senior Cessa Murasko-Blank and sophomore Victoria Vityuk defeated Elizabeth Stall and Lisa Vulin 8-4 at third doubles.
In singles play, Fordham picked up straight set wins at the first three flights to take a 3-1 lead, before Lehigh began its comeback. In all three bottom flights, Lehigh players lost the first set, only to respond and win the next two. Murasko-Blank started the comeback, rallying past Vulin at fourth singles. Vityuk was next, with a comeback 2-6, 7-5, 6-3 win over Stall at sixth singles. Furman than completed the comeback and clinched the match for Lehigh with the win over Featherston.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Tuesday, April 10, when they open up Patriot League play at home against the Bucknell Bison. The match gets underway at 3:00 pm from the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
1. Liguori/E. Featherston (FU) def. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) 8-3
2. Arthofer/Furman (LU) def. M. Featherston/Sandor (FU) 9-7
3. Murasko-Blank/Vityuk (LU) def. Stall/Vulin (FU) 8-4
1. Dominuque Liguori (FU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Ellenoira Featherston (FU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Doina Sandor (FU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Lisa Vulin (FU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Martina Featherston (FU) 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
6. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Elizabeth Stall (FU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3