Posted: March 21, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Senior Gwen Dwyer and sophomore Ruthie Furman picked up singles victories, but it was not enough to propel Lehigh past Villanova, as the visiting Wildcats earned a 5-2 win Wednesday at the Lewis Tennis Center. Villanova swept the doubles matches to capture the first point and followed with four singles wins to pick up its first win of the spring season, while dropping the Brown and White to 5-8 on the season.
Dwyer improved to a team best 8-5 on the season with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Candice Carlin at No. 1 singles. The Wildcats captured the middle four flights, before Furman topped Lyndsey Lostritto in straight sets in sixth singles. The closest match came at fourth singles, where freshman Julie Arthofer fell to Carla Erskne, who rallied to win a third set tiebreaker.
In doubles action, Villanova won all three matches, with the closest match coming at the third flight, where Arthofer and Furman were bested 8-6.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Friday, March 30 when they welcome the Fordham Rams to the Lewis Tennis Center for a 3:30 pm match.
1. Carlin/A. Reed (VU) def. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) 8-4
2. Williamson/Reilly (VU) def. Jacobi/Murasko-Blank (LU) 8-2
3. Erskne/C. Reed (VU) def. Arthofer/Furman (LU) 8-6
1. Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Candice Carlin (VU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Jaclyn Williamson (VU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Leighann Reilly (VU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Carla Erskne (VU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-4, 6-7, 7-6
5. Colleen Walter (VU) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Lyndsey Lostritto (VU) 6-3, 6-2