Posted: February 25, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh bounced back from Friday’s loss to Stony Brook with a convincing 7-0 win over Drexel Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept all six singles matches after winning two of three doubles matches, to improve to 3-4 heading into next weekend’s spring break trip.
The Mountain Hawks earned doubles victories at first and third doubles. Senior Gwen Dwyer and sophomore Allie Schwartz were 8-4 winners over Emily Lewis and Hana Stecova at first doubles, while sophomore Victoria Vityuk and freshman Julie Arthofer earned an 8-5 victory over Jaimee Wylie and Ashley Doriss.
In singles play, the Mountain Hawks won the first four flights with ease, all being decided in straight sets. The final two flights were played as one set, first two eight points, with senior Cessa Murasko-Blank and sophomore Ruthie Furman cruising to easy wins.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Monday, March 5, when they open up their spring break trip with a match against James Madison. The match gets underway at noon from Satellite Beach, Florida.
1. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) def. E. Lewis/Stecova (DU) 8-4
2. M. Lewis/Hamad (DU) def. Murasko-Blank/Furman (LU) 8-7 (9)
3. Arthofer/Vityuk (LU) def. Wylie/Doriss (DU) 8-5
1. Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Emily Lewis (DU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Mellissa Lewis (DU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Jaimee Wylie (DU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Hana Stecova (DU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Jill Toussaint (DU) 8-1
6. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Lara Hamad (DU) 8-1