Posted: February 23, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Freshman Julie Arthofer was a winner at both singles and doubles, but the Mountain Hawks could not muster enough team victories, as Lehigh was beaten by Stony Brook 5-2 Friday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Seawolves captured two of three doubles matches and four of the six singles matches on the afternoon to drop the Mountain Hawks to 2-4 on the season.
In doubles action, Arthofer teamed with sophomore Ruthie Furman to defeat Vicki Vovsha and Shaina Murugan 8-6 at third doubles. Stony Brook victories at first and second doubles gave the Seawolves an early 1-0 lead.
Lehigh picked up two points in singles play, with senior Gwen Dwyer defeating Claudia Sanna 6-0, 6-1 at first singles and Arthofer disposing of Brooke Flanigan 6-1, 6-1 at fourth singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday when they host Drexel. The match gets underway at 1:00 pm from the Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Rodolfi/Federgreen (SBU) def. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) 8-4
2. Sanna/Flanigan (SBU) def. Jacobi/Murasko-Blank (LU) 8-4
3. Arthofer/Furman (LU) def. Vovsha/Murugan (SBU) 8-6
1. Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Claudia Sanna (SBU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Paola Rodolfi (SBU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Erica Federgreen (SBU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Brooke Flanigan (SBU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Vicki Vovsha (SBU) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
6. Shaina Murugan (SBU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6