Posted: February 17, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh and Delaware battled for nearly five hours on the tennis court on Saturday, with most of the bounces going the way of the Fightin’ Blue Hens, who knocked off the Mountain Hawks 7-0 at the Lewis Tennis Center. Delaware won three tightly contested doubles matches and all six singles contests to hand Lehigh its third straight defeat, dropping the Brown and White to 1-3 on the season.
The doubles portion of the match took nearly two hours to compete, with Delaware emerging victorious in all three flights. Susan Pollack and Amanda Campbell defeated senior Gwen Dwyer and sophomore Allie Schwartz 8-6 at first doubles, while Elena Berry and Alexa Dragonette edged junior Alexis Jacobi and senior Cessa Murasko-Blank 9-7at second doubles.
The Fightin’ Blue Hens took all six singles matches as well. Two matches went to third set tiebreakers, with Liz Perlow defeating Schwartz 6-4, 4-6, 10-3 at third singles and Britt Barsky edging sophomore Victoria Vityuk 6-0, 4-6, 10-8 at sixth singles.
The Mountain Hawks will try to stop their slide on Sunday afternoon when Towson visits the Lewis Tennis Center for a match that gets underway at 2:00 pm.
1. Pollack/Campbell (UD) def. Dwyer/Schwarz (LU) 8-6
2. Berry/Dragonette (UD) def. Jacobi/Murasko-Blank (LU) 9-7
3. Perlow/Schiller (UD) def/ Furman/Arthofer (LU) 8-4
1. Susan Pollack (UD) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Amanda Campbell (UD) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Liz Perlow (UD) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
4. Elena Berry (UD) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Alexa Dragonette (UD) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Britt Barsky (UD) def. Vic Vityuk (LU) 6-0, 4-6, 10-8