Posted: February 4, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh opened the spring season on a positive note, edging Fairleigh Dickinson 4-3 Sunday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks and Knights split six singles matches on the afternoon, but Lehigh’s sweep of the three doubles matches helped propel the Mountain Hawks to victory in their season opener.
The Mountain Hawks took an early lead by sweeping the three doubles contests. Senior Gwen Dwyer teamed with sophomore Allie Schwartz for a win at first doubles. Junior Alexis Jacobi and senior Cessa Murasko-Blank were a winning team at second doubles, while freshman Julie Arthofer and sophomore Victoria Vityuk were victorious at third doubles, to help give Lehigh the early 1-0 lead.
In singles action, Lehigh just needed a split to win the match and did just that. Dwyer was a winner at first singles, 7-5, 7-5 over Julija Korsunova. The Mountain Hawks also got convincing wins from Arthofer at fifth singles and Murasko-Blank at sixth singles.
The Mountain Hawks will be back on the court on Wednesday, when they host Rutgers. The match gets underway at 3 p.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU) def. Korsunova/Smith (FDU) 8-3
2. Jacobi/Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Chernyshova/DeCarlos (FDU) 8-6
3. Arthofer/Vityuk (LU) def. Small/Encarnacion (FDU) 8-1
1. Gwen Dwyer (LU) def. Julija Korsunova (FDU) 7-5, 7-5
2. Ksenia Chernyshova (FDU) def. Ariela Cohen (LU) 7-6, injury default
3. Jessica DeCarlos (FDU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Clara Smith (FDU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Tricia Small (FDU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Cessa Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Joanne Encarnacion (FDU) 6-0, 6-0