Posted: February 23, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Mountain Hawks dropped their fifth straight match on Friday evening, falling to Stony Brook 7-0 inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Lehigh is still missing several key contributors with injuries, and the Brown and White dropped both completed doubles contests and all six singles matches as they fall to 0-5 on the season, with one more home match remaining before their spring break trip.
Stony Brook took a 1-0 lead with wins at first and third doubles. The Mountain Hawk team of senior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha and junior John Nespoli were leading in their match at second doubles, but with the point being clinched, the match was not completed in the interests of time.
The Seawolves continued to roll in singles play, winning all six matches. The closest contest came at No. 2 singles where sophomore Drew Balshi extended Nihal Advani to three sets, before falling 6-0, 4-6, 6-2. Lehigh is still without injured co-captain Ryan Lloyd, while Nespoli’s ailment has limited him exclusively to doubles play.
Lehigh will try again for its first win on Sunday, when the Mountain Hawks entertain the Drexel Dragons. The match begins at 10:00 am from Lehigh’s Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Van Veen/Advani (SBU) def. Balshi/Herbert (LU) 8-3
2. Fernandez-Concha/Nespoli (LU) led Fassi-Fehri/Markovich (SBU) 3-2, DNF
3. Shvartz/Epstein (SBU) def. Gordon/Caminiti (LU) 8-6
1. Quirjin Van Veen (SBU) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Nihal Advani (SBU) def. Drew Balshi (LU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
3. Youssef Fassi-Fehri (SBU) def. Brent Herbert (LU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ilan Schvartz (SBU) def. Mike Gordon (LU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Jon Epstein (SBU) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU) 8-4
6. Alex Markovich (SBU) def. Evan Volkman (LU) 8-4