Posted: February 4, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Mountain Hawks hosted their first home match of the season on Sunday, but could not hold only an early lead in a 5-2 loss to Fairleigh Dickinson at the Lewis Tennis Center. Lehigh won the doubles point to take the early lead, but won just one of six singles matches, as the Brown and White fall to 0-3 on the season.
Things started well for Lehigh, as the Mountain Hawks won two-of-three doubles matches to earn the first point. Senior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha and junior John Nespoli teamed for an 8-5 win at second doubles, while sophomore Michael Gordon and freshman Jesse Huth clinched the first point with a 9-7 win over Justin Seow and Esteban Blanco at third doubles.
Singles play was not as kind to the Mountain Hawks, who dropped matches at the first five flights. Senior Evan Volkman was Lehigh’s lone singles winner, downing Alex Kolometis 6-1, 6-1 at sixth singles.
Lehigh will return to action on Friday, February 16, when the Mountain Hawks welcome Richmond to the Lewis Tennis Center in a match that gets underway at 4 p.m.
1. Stephens/Nace (FDU) def. Balshi/Herbert (LU) 8-2
2. Fernandez-Concha/Nespoli (LU) def. Gross/Eddins (FDU) 8-5
3. Gordon/Huth (LU) def. Seow/Blanco (FDU) 9-7
1. Phil Stephens (FDU) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Priit Gross (FDU) def. Andrew Balshi (LU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Alex Nace (FDU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Justin Seow (FDU) def. Brent Herbert (LU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Esteban Blanco (FDU) def. Michael Gordon (LU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
6. Evan Volkman (LU) def. Alex Kolometis (FDU) 6-1, 6-1