Posted: April 10, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Despite a valiant effort, Lehigh fell to Colgate by a 4-3 score Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Raiders won two-of-three doubles matches to take an early lead and managed to split the six singles matches, including two key wins in three set matches to drop Lehigh to 8-10 overall and 1-3 in the Patriot League. Colgate improves to 9-6 and 3-2 against league foes.
In doubles action, Lehigh’s No. 2 team of juniors Cameron Silbert and Arnaldo Pacheco won 8-6 over Phil Bernasek and Ruslan Gousssaitnikov, but the Raiders picked up wins at first and third doubles to take a 1-0 lead.
Junior Troy List opened singles play by downing Michael Yassky 6-4, 6-4, but the Raiders answered with a straight set win from Bernasek over sophomore Leland Richardson at No. 3 singles.
Lehigh pulled even when sophomore Ryan Krueger cruised to a 6-3, 6-2 win over Sean Spellberg at No. 5 singles, but Colgate won two key three-set matches to clinch the match. At No. 4 singles Alec Goldstein outlasted freshman Matt Savran 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 to go up 3-2. The Raiders got the clinching point from John Nogueras at No. 2 singles. Nogueras dropped the first set to junior Collin Laffey 6-7 but rallied to take the next two 6-3, 6-3.
Freshman Andrew Krentz won at No. 6 singles for Lehigh, defeating Connor Feuille in a third set ten-point tiebreak.
The Mountain Hawks have two matches left in the regular season, beginning Tuesday when Lehigh heads to Easton for the annual rivalry match at Lafayette. First serves are set for 3 p.m.
Colgate 4, Lehigh 3
1. Yassky/Nogueras (CU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-4
2. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) def. Bernasek/Goussaitnikov (CU) 8-6
3. Goldstein/Jewett (CU) def. Savran/Krueger (LU) 8-6
1. Troy List (LU) def. Michael Yassky (CU) 6-4, 6-4
2. John Nogueras (CU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
3. Phil Bernasek (CU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-4, 7-6
4. Alec Goldstein (CU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Sean Spellberg (CU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Connor Feuille (CU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-7
Lehigh - Colgate Post-Match Extra!