Posted: April 10, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Sophomore Liz Piscitelli and senior Stacey Reich picked up singles wins, but it was not enough to lead Lehigh past Colgate as the visiting Raiders downed the Mountain Hawks 5-2 Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Colgate narrowly edged Lehigh to win two of three doubles matches then held off the Mountain Hawks in four of six singles matches to earn the win. Lehigh falls to 3-13 overall and 2-4 in the Patriot League.
Lehigh’s No. 3 doubles team of junior Kiera Murasko-Blank and freshman Abbey Perl won against Jackie Stimmel and Merideth Rock, but Colgate picked up narrow wins at the top two flights, both by 9-8 scores to take the early 1-0 lead.
In singles play, Colgate extended its lead with a win at No. 1 singles, but Piscitelli got Lehigh on the board with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Samantha Inacker at No. 2 singles. The middle two flights both needed three sets to be decided. Reich dropped the first set against Cameron Williams but rallied to take the next two to win 5-7, 6-4, 6-4. Lehigh was less fortunate at No. 4 singles where Stimmel outlasted freshman Patricia Muething 2-6, 6-1, 6-3. The Raiders completed the victory with wins at the bottom two flights.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up their regular season on Sunday when they host Fordham. The match is scheduled for an 11 a.m. start from the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Colgate 5, Lehigh 2
1. DeRose/Williams (CU) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 9-8
2. Inacker/Bender (CU) def. Reich/Muething (LU) 9-8
3. Perl/Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Stimmel/Rock (CU) 8-5
1. Elise DeRose (CU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-2, 7-6
2. Liz Piscitelli (LU) def. Samantha Inacker (CU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Cameron Williams (CU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Jackie Stimmel (CU) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Stephanie Brown (CU) def. Kiera Murasko-Blank (LU) 7-6, 6-3
6. Merideth Rock (CU) def. Izzy Breit (LU) 6-4, 6-2