Posted: April 8, 2010
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Two days after routing rival Lafayette, Lehigh was unable to carry the momentum into its match-up with Bucknell as the host Bison swept the Mountain Hawks 7-0 Thursday afternoon on the Varsity Tennis Courts. Bucknell rolled to six straight-set singles wins and won the three doubles matches as well as the Bison remain unbeaten in league play at 3-0 and improve to 9-5 overall, while Lehigh falls to 3-12 overall and 2-3 within the league.
With the impending threat of rain, the teams played the six singles matches first and Bucknell won all six in straight sets. Lauren Lucido opened the scoring with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Liz Piscitelli at No. 2 singles and Tania Varela made it 2-0 Bison with a 6-0, 6-2 win over senior Julie Arthofer at No. 1 singles.
Bucknell extended its lead to 3-0 when Lauren Rottkamp downed sophomore Izzy Breit 6-2, 6-4 at No. 6 singles and clinched the victory when Dara Dwojewski bested junior Kiera Murasko-Blank 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5 singles.
The Bison added wins at third and fourth singles, and then swept all three doubles matches to complete the shutout.
The Mountain Hawks will now return home to wrap-up the regular season with matches against Colgate and Fordham Saturday and Sunday on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Lehigh-Colgate match is slated for a 10:30 a.m. start.
Bucknell 7, Lehigh 0
1. Tania Varela (BU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Lauren Lucido (BU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Dumitrita Iepuras (BU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Carlin Calcaterra (BU) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Dara Dwojewski (BU) def. Kiera Murasko-Blank (LU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Lauren Rottkamp (BU) def. Izzy Breit (LU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Varela/Lucido (BU) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) 8-1
2. Calcaterra/Casey (BU) def. Reich/Muething (LU) 8-4
3. Tuzhikova/Iepuras (BU) def. Murasko-Blank/Perl (LU) 8-5