Posted: April 3, 2010
FAIRFAX, Va. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team snapped its two-match losing streak with an impressive 6-1 over George Mason Saturday at the RAC Tennis Courts. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and won five of six singles matches to improve to 8-9 on the spring season.
In doubles play, Lehigh’s top team of juniors Troy List and Collin Laffey continued their recent success with an 8-0 blanking of Jorge Osuna and Sam Coster. The Mountain Hawks also picked up wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 flights to take an early 1-0 lead.
In singles action, Lehigh was led by straight set wins from freshman Matt Savran and sophomore Ryan Krueger at No. 4 and No. 5 singles respectively. Savran downed Greg Donabedian 7-5, 6-2, while Krueger was a 6-4, 6-2 winner over Coster. List and Laffey continued to find ways to win at the top two flights as both players posted three set victories. List won the first set versus Osuna 6-2 before dropping the second set 6-7, and capturing the third set 7-6. Laffey dropped the first set versus Kevin McMillen but rallied to take the next two. Freshman Andrew Krentz also needed three sets to defeat Arjun Sangvhi at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will be off until next Saturday when they host Colgate in a key Patriot League matchup at 10 a.m. on the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Lehigh 6, George Mason 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Osuna/Coster (GM) 8-0
2. Richardson/Savran (LU) def. Donabedian/Leonard (GM) 8-6
3. Pacheco/Krueger (LU) def. McMillen/Mulquin (GM) 8-6
1. Troy List (LU) def. Jorge Osuna (GM) 6-2, 6-7, 7-6
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Kevin McMillen (GM) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
3. Patrick Mulquin (GM) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 7-6, 6-4
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Greg Donabedian (GM) 7-5, 6-2
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Sam Coster (GM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Arjun Sangvhi (GM) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1