Posted: April 2, 2010
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Junior Collin Laffey continued his strong play at No. 2 singles and No. 1 doubles but it wasn’t enough to lead Lehigh to a win over Navy as the defending Patriot League champions prevailed 6-1 Friday afternoon at the USNA Tennis Courts. Laffey won his singles match to account for Lehigh’s lone point and also teamed with classmate Troy List to win at No. 1 doubles for Lehigh, which falls to 7-9 overall and 1-2 in the Patriot League. Navy improves to 11-10 overall, 3-0 in league matches.
Many of Friday’s matches were tightly contested, including all three doubles matches. Navy earned a win at No. 3 doubles, while List and Laffey downed Owen Bullard and Nicholas Gusche 8-6 at No. 1 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, Navy’s Nick Birger and Ramsey Lemaich downed Lehigh sophomore Leland Richardson and freshman Matt Savran 8-6 to give the Mids an early 1-0 lead.
Navy extended its lead with straight set wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles, and clinched the match when Zach Nicholson beat Savran 6-3, 6-4 at No. 4 singles. Laffey won for the fifth time in six singles outings, with a win over Marcus Rebersak.
Lehigh dropped three-set matches at the final two singles matches. At No. 5 singles, sophomore Ryan Krueger won the first set against Gutsche 6-2, but the Midshipman rallied to win the next two 7-6 and 6-2. At No. 6 singles, Andrew Krentz took the second set, but fell in three to Matt Richmond.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up their brief road trip on Saturday when they travel to Fairfax, Virginia to face the Patriots of George Mason at 10 a.m.
Navy 6, Lehigh 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Bullard/Gutsche (Navy) 8-6
2. Birger/Lemaich (Navy) def. Richardson/Savran (LU) 8-6
3. Konrad/New (Navy) def. Krentz/Krueger (LU) 8-5
1. Owen Bullard (Navy) def. Troy List (LU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Marcus Rebersak (Navy) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Jeremy New (Navy) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Zach Nicholson (Navy) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Nicholas Gutsche (Navy) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
6. Matt Richmond (Navy) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-0, 2-6, 6-3