Posted: March 29, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh won the doubles point but visiting Stony Brook rallied to win all six singles matches as the visiting Seawolves rallied for a 6-1 win over the Mountain Hawks Monday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won the doubles point, but went down 3-1 after dropping the first three singles flights. Lehigh dropped close matches at the bottom three singles flights as the Mountain Hawks fall to 7-8 while the Seawolves improve to 7-4.
In doubles action, juniors Troy List and Collin Laffey teamed for an 8-6 win over Roope Kailaheimo and Palash Tiwari at No. 1 doubles while sophomore Leland Richardson and freshman Matt Savran teamed up to defeat Jon Epstein and Mitch Wong at No. 2 doubles as Lehigh took an early 1-0 lead.
Stony Brook rallied in singles play to win the first three flights, including Epstein’s 6-4, 6-4 win over Laffey which snapped Laffey’s four match win streak. Two of the remaining three singles matches went to three sets, with Wong’s 6-7, 6-2, 7-5 win over sophomore Edgars Rauza clinching the win for the Seawolves. Freshman Andrew Krentz took Ilan Schvarz to a third-set ten-point tiebreak, but the Stony Brook senior prevailed 14-12 in a lengthy tiebreak to give the Seawolves the singles sweep.
The Mountain Hawks will return to Patriot League play when they return to action on Friday as Lehigh travels to defending league champion Navy. The match is slated for a 12 p.m. start from Annapolis, Md.
Stony Brook 6, Lehigh 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Kailahemo/Tiwari (SB) 8-6
2. Richardson/Savran (LU) def. Epstein/Wong (SB) 8-5
3. Rummel/Sztabholz (SB) def. Krueger/Silbert (LU) 8-5
1. Ivan Rummel (SB) def. Troy List (LU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jon Epstein (SB) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Roope Kailaheimo (SB) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Mitch Wong (SB) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-7, 6-2, 7-5
5. Palash Tiwari (SB) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Ilan Schvarz (SB) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 4-6, 6-3, 14-12
Lehigh - Stony Brook Post-Match Extra