Posted: March 28, 2010
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team picked up its first Patriot League win of the season on Sunday with a dominant 6-1 in over Holy Cross at Army’s Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept through doubles matches and won all five contested singles matches as Lehigh evened its record at 7-7 overall and 1-1 in league matches. Holy Cross falls to 1-7, 0-3 in the league.
The Mountain Hawks had little trouble capturing the doubles point as Lehigh dropped a total of just six games across the three flights.
Junior Collin Laffey won his fourth straight match at No. 2 singles, downing John Burke 6-2, 6-1. Overall, Lehigh won all five matches in straight sets, and defaulted to the Crusaders at No. 6 for Holy Cross’ lone point. Junior Troy List bounced back from a loss Friday against Temple with a win over Matt Wierzel at No. 1 singles. Head coach Dave Shook juggled the bottom of his lineup, with sophomore Edgars Rauza bumping up to No. 3 singles with a win, while junior Cameron Silbert won at No. 4 and freshman Andrew Krentz rolled past Scot Brownell 6-0, 6-1 at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will be back on the courts on Monday when they host Stony Brook. First serves are set for 2 p.m. from Lehigh’s Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 6 Holy Cross 1
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Wierzel/Burke (HC) 8-0
2. Rauza/Silbert (LU) def. Regan/Brownell (HC) 8-2
3. Kruger/Krentz (LU) def Das/Paadre (HC) 8-4
1. Troy List (LU) def. Matt Wierzel (HC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. John Burke (HC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Dan Phelan (HC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Cameron Silbert (LU) def. Tim Regan (HC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Scot Brownell (HC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Holy Cross by default