Posted: March 26, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Junior Collin Laffey picked up his third straight win at No. 2 singles for Lehigh, but it wasn’t enough as the Mountain Hawks began a stretch of three matches in four days with a 6-1 loss to Temple Friday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Owls swept the doubles matches and won five of the six singles matches to improve to 6-7, while Lehigh falls to 6-7 with the setback.
Temple clinched the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, while junior Troy List and Laffey battled to the end against brothers Filip and Kacper Rams at No. 1 doubles before falling in a tiebreak.
In singles play, Laffey downed Dmitri Vizhunov 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 singles but it was the only win the Mountain Hawks could muster. The Owls picked up wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles and Filip Rams won the battle of No. 1 singles players over List 6-0, 6-3.
With the team score decided, the teams played eight-game pro sets at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, with Andrey Morozov downing sophomore Leland Richardson 8-1 and Kacper Rams rallying to defeat sophomore Edgars Rauza 8-5.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Sunday when they travel to West Point, N.Y. for a neutral-site Patriot League match against Holy Cross. First serves are set for noon from Army’s Malek Tennis Courts.
Temple 6, Lehigh 1
1. Rams/Rams (TU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 9-8
2. Morozov/Stekolshikov (TU) def. Richardson/Silbert (LU) 8-5
3. Vizhunov/Gishkaev (TU) def. Krueger/Krentz (LU) 8-3
1. Filip Rams (TU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Dmitri Vizhunov (TU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Andrey Morozov (TU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 8-1
4. Kacper Rams (TU) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 8-5
5. Mansur Gishkaev (TU) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Stanislav Stekolshikov (TU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-3, 6-2
Lehigh - Temple Post-Match Extra