Posted: March 24, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its first match in over a month the Lehigh women’s tennis team fell to Army by a 7-0 score in the Patriot League opener for both teams Wednesday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The five-time defending Patriot League Champion Black Knights flexed their muscles, winning all three doubles matches and all six singles matches en route to their 38th straight Patriot League regular season win. Army moves to 14-6 with the win, while Lehigh falls to 1-7.
Army dominated doubles play, dropping just one game in three matches as senior Stacey Reich and freshman Patricia Muething took a game from Erin Colton and Annie Hang at No. 2 doubles.
The Black Knight dominance continued in singles play as Army picked up straight set wins at first, second, fourth and fifth singles. Reich managed to win a set from Kristin Beehler at No. 3 singles, but Beehler prevailed 6-2 in the deciding third set. With the match clinched, the teams played an eight-game pro set at No. 6 singles with Robie Verano downing Abbey Perl 8-2
The Mountain Hawks will next head to West Point, N.Y. on Sunday to take on Holy Cross. The match is slated for a 12 p.m. start on the grounds of the U.S. Military Academy.
Army 7, Lehigh 0
1. Houghton/Beehler (Army) def. Arthofer/Piscitelli (Lehigh) 8-0
2. Colton/Hang (Army) def. Reich/Muething (Lehigh) 8-1
3. Tollerton/Verano (Army) def. Breit/Murasko-Blank (Lehigh) 8-0
1. Anne Houghton (Army) def. Julie Arthofer (Lehigh) 6-0, 6-1
2. Erin Colton (Army) def. Liz Piscitelli (Lehigh) 6-4, 7-5
3. Kristin Beehler (Army) def. Stacey Reich (Lehigh) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
4. Annie Hang (Army) def. Patricia Muething (Lehigh) 6-4, 6-1
5. Michael Tollerton (Army) def. Kiera Murasko-Blank (Lehigh) 6-2, 6-1
6. Robie Verano (Army) def. Abbey Perl (Lehigh) 8-2
Lehigh - Army Post-Match Extra