Posted: March 23, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh spotted an Army an early 3-0 lead before battling back to 3-2, but Rashad Shelton’s straight set win over junior Cameron Silbert at No. 5 singles propelled the visiting Black Knights to a 4-3 win over the Mountain Hawks Tuesday in the Patriot League opener for both teams. The match began outside on Lehigh’s Ulrich Varsity Courts before rain forced the match to be completed indoors. Juniors Troy List and Collin Laffey and freshman Andrew Krentz earned singles points for the Mountain Hawks, who fall to 6-5 overall and 0-1 in the league with the setback.
The three doubles matches were decided by a total of five points, but Army (7-6, 1-0 Patriot League) won all three to take an early 1-0 lead.
In singles play, the Black Knights extended their lead with wins at No. 3 and No. 4 singles before Lehigh dug in and mounted a comeback. List won a battle of the last two Patriot League Players of the Month beating Gary Kushnirovich 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 to get the Mountain Hawks on the board. Laffey won a marathon three set match 6-7, 7-6, 11-9 at No. 2 singles to get Lehigh within one, but Shelton downed Silbert 6-4, 6-4 for the clinching point.
Krentz picked up Lehigh’s third and final point with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Alex Holland at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Friday when they host Temple at 5 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Army 4, Lehigh 3
1. Kushnirovich/Shelton (Army) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-6
2. Albornoz/Lucero (Army) def. Silbert/Richardson (LU) 8-6
3. Holland/Johnson (Army) def. Krentz/Krueger (LU) 9-8
1. Troy List (LU) def. Gary Kushnirovich (Army) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Chris Albornoz (Army) 6-7, 7-6, 11-9
3. Tripp Johnson (Army) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Johnny Lucero (Army) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Rashad Shelton (Army) def. Cameron Silbert (LU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Alex Holland (Army) 6-4, 6-4
Lehigh - Army Post-Match Extra