Posted: March 22, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its first competitive action in nearly a month the Lehigh men’s tennis team returned to the courts with a 4-3 win over Saint Joseph’s Saturday at the Lewis Tennis Center. Juniors Troy List and Collin Laffey picked up wins in singles and doubles play, while sophomore Leland Richardson clinched the victory for the Brown and White with a three set triumph at No. 3 singles. The win improves Lehigh’s spring record to 6-4.
Lehigh picked up the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. List and Laffey won 8-5 over Michael Stauble and Alex Vernois at No. 1 doubles, while sophomore Ryan Krueger teamed with freshman Andrew Krentz to defeat Tommy Gates and Delfin Bernal 8-3 at No. 3 doubles to secure a 1-0 lead for the Mountain Hawks.
In singles play, List and Laffey extended Lehigh’s lead with straight set wins at the top two flights over Stauble and Veronis respectively. Richardson dropped the first set of his match with Matt Prusack 2-6, but rallied to take the next two 6-2, 7-6 to clinch the victory for Lehigh. Saint Joseph’s picked up a straight-set win at No. 4 singles and won three-set matches at fifth and sixth singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action Tuesday when they open Patriot League play against Army. First serves are set for 3 p.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 4, Saint Joseph’s 3
1. List/Laffey (LU) def. Stauble/Veronis (SJU) 8-5
2. Cognetti/Perez (SJU) def. Silbert/Richardson (LU) 8-7
3. Krueger/Krentz (LU) def. Gates/Bernal (SJU) 8-3
1. Troy List (LU) def. Michael Stauble (SJU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Collin Laffey (LU) def. Alex Veronis (SJU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Leland Richardson (LU) def. Matt Prusack (SJU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6
4. Nick Tuxen (SJU) def. Ryan Krueger (LU) 6-2, 7-6
5. Tommy Gates (SJU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 1-6, 7-6, 7-5
6. Lucho Perez-Abreu (SJU) def. Cameron Silbert (LU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1