Posted: February 23, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In a match that came down to No. 6 singles, Lehigh fell to Towson 4-3 in its final match before a long layoff Tuesday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won the doubles point, and picked up singles wins from senior Julie Arthofer and freshman Patricia Muething, but the Tigers’ Beth Daub came back from a set down to defeat sophomore Izzy Breit at No. 6 singles to give the visitors the win. Lehigh falls to 1-6 with the loss while Towson nabs its first spring win.
Lehigh captured the doubles point with ease, winning the top two flights by a combined 16-1 score. Arthofer teamed with sophomore Liz Piscitelli to win 8-1 at first doubles, while Muething teamed with senior Stacey Reich to blank Katie Young and Aandria Carr at second doubles.
In singles play, the Tigers raced in front with straight set wins at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 5 singles. Muething picked up the first singles point for the Mountain Hawks, with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Cassandra Ng at No. 4 singles, and Arthofer tied the team score at three with a three-set win over Lauren Cloonan at the top flight. Arthofer lost the first set 6-3, but rallied to take the next two 6-2, 6-2.
In the deciding match, Breit held off Daub in the first set 7-5, but couldn’t continue the momentum into the final two sets, which she dropped 6-4 and 6-1.
The Mountain Hawks will now be out of action for a month before returning to the courts on March 24 when they open up Patriot League play at home against the defending league champion Black Knights of Army.
Towson 4, Lehigh 3
1. Arthofer/Piscitelli (LU) def. Cloonan/Samlin (TU) 8-1
2. Reich/Muething (LU) def. K.Young/Carr (TU) 8-0
3. Perl/Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Daub/Ng (TU) 8-7
1. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Lauren Cloonan (TU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Aandria Carr (TU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Andrea Samlin (TU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Cassandra Ng (TU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Katie Young (TU) def. Gena Levengood (LU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Beth Daub (TU) def. Izzy Breit (LU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
Lehigh Tennis Post-Match Extra