Posted: February 21, 2010
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – It came down to the sixth match point in the No. 6 singles match, but freshman Andrew Krentz held off Jegonathan Srinivasan of Drexel to lead Lehigh to a come-from-behind 4-3 win over Drexel Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks trailed 3-2 before sophomore Ryan Krueger and Krentz provided wins at the bottom two singles flights to give Lehigh the win as the Mountain Hawks improve to 5-4 on the season.
“It was all about Krueger and Krentz today,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “They got it done today. That’s the bottom line. It feels good to win this match. We’re maturing well as a team and showing a lot of good progress.”
Krentz and Srinivasan battled neck-and-neck through much of their match with Krentz winning the first set 7-6. Trailing 6-5 in the second set, Srinivasan fought off five match points to stay alive before Krentz closed out the match for the 7-6, 7-5 win.
Krueger tied the match at three with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Bryan Nguyen at No. 5 singles. The Mountain Hawks’ other singles win came at No. 4 as freshman Matt Savran won in straight sets over Jason Savage-Pollock.
Lehigh also captured the doubles point, as Savran and sophomore Leland Richardson downed Savage-Pollock and Srinivasan 8-6 at No. 2 doubles and juniors Cameron Silbert and Arnaldo Pacheco defeated Mehdi Rhazali and Bryan Nguyen 8-5 at No. 3 doubles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action next Saturday when they open up Patriot League play against the Black Knights of Army. The match is slated for an 11 a.m. start from the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 4, Drexel 3
1. Kurdoze/Bajpai (DU) def. List/Laffey (LU) 8-4
2. Richardson/Savran (LU) def. Savage-Pollock/Srinivasan (DU) 8-6
3. Silbert/Pacheco (LU) def. Rhazali/Nguyen (DU) 8-5
1. Nikoloz Kurdoze (DU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-4, 7-6
2. Manu Bajpai (DU) def. Collin Laffey (LU) 7-6, 6-4
3. Mehdi Rhazali (DU) def. Leland Richardson (LU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Jason Savage-Pollock (DU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ryan Krueger (LU) def. Bryan Nguyen (DU) 6-4,7-5
6. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Jegonathan Srinivasan (DU) 7-6, 7-5